About the UA Level 2 – Development Coach Course
The Ultimate Australia Development Coach Course is for coaches working with competitive Ultimate athletes and teams.
In particular, this course is tailored for coaches of Division 2 teams, University teams, Under-18 State teams, or Under-22 State teams.
This course features a blended approach to learning, including online and face-to-face components.
This course is new in March 2021. We are excited to share that all ten online modules (including over 60 videos, 20+ downloads and 11 quizzes) are now available. As it is a new course – it’s possible that some technical issues may arise for you as a user. Please reach out to the Site Administrator at the ‘Contact’ page should you experience any issues.
The Face to face component of this course will be delivered from May 2021. Participants must complete all of the online content prior to attending the face to face course.
Development Coach Modules
The modules included in this training program are:
- Coaching Philosophy (Online)
- Introduction to Sport Psychology (Online)
- Introduction to Physical Training (Online)
- Nutrition and Hydration (Online)
- Planning and Evaluating (Online)
- Managing Your Team (Online)
- Skill Acquisition (Online)
- Ultimate Skills (Online & Face-to-Face)
- Ultimate Team Structures (Online & Face-to-Face)
- Concussion Management (Online)
Development Coach Competency Statements
At the completion of the training program, the coach will be able to:
- Develop and review a coaching plan for a session
- Manage the safety requirements of coaching
- Incorporate inclusive practices into coaching style to cater for a range of individual needs
- Understand and apply goal setting techniques and basic principles of sport psychology
- Understand components of a healthy diet for an active lifestyle
- Demonstrate effective coaching communication strategies
- Demonstrate effective group management strategies
- Demonstrate an understanding of skill progression
- Understand, safely teach and apply the principles of the Ultimate Australia Strength and Conditioning program, including warm up activities
- Safely teach, identify and correct technique faults for throwing, catching, attacking and defending skills
- Create and evaluate simple Game Day team goals and strategies
- Apply the techniques of basic Ultimate skills into relevant on field situations
- Apply the principles of positional and team play into basic on field strategy
- Utilise self reflection tools for development of coach management, teaching and communication skills
- Understand and apply the WFDF Rules of Ultimate in competitive play
To access these modules – you must have completed the following pre-requisite requirements:
- Community Coach Accreditation (Level 1) or Recognition of Current Competency
- 20 hours of coaching after completion of Community Coach course. Download UA Coaching Logbook.
- WFDF Rules Accreditation – Advanced.
Note: You may fill your coaching logbook with coaching hours conducted after completing the Level 1 Community Coach course for the first time. For coaches who completed the Level 1 course prior to 2021 – you may fill the logbook retrospectively with 20 hours of coaching you have conducted since completing the Level 1 course.
As soon as you register and pay – you will be required to upload these prerequisite documents. Once these documents are approved, you will gain access to the course content. Your documents will be manually reviewed by the site administrator, and it may take up to two business days to approve your access to the Level 2 course content.
To achieve your UA Development Coach qualification, you must complete:
- Play by the Rules – Inclusive Coaching Online Course
- Sport Integrity Australia – Clean Sport 101 Course
- Successful completion of both Online and Face to Face components of this course
Participant’s must be at least 15 years old to become accredited.
The full Accreditation Requirements can be found on the AFDA website.
- At the end of each module there is a short quiz to test understanding
- Short and long answer questions will be assessed via Coach Journal entries
- At the end of the course there is a quiz to test understanding
- Participants can attempt quizzes and submission of their Coach Journal as many times as necessary
- Participants must achieve a 100% mark on each quiz to receive their certificate.
Assessment (Face to Face):
- 10 minutes practical coaching – see the assessment instructions
This certificate is valid for 4 years from the date of issue.
Review the AFDA Coach Program Updating Policy for information on how to update your qualification.
It is recommended that prospective coaches seek the assistance of a mentor coach in improving their coaching skills.
Mentors will receive credit towards their updating requirements.
Participant’s progress through the online ten modules can be saved to be continued at a later date.
Once the online modules are complete – the coach will attend a Face to Face course to complete their UA Development Coach qualification.
It is not compulsory to purchase a textbook for this course. However, the textbooks that we recommend to accompany this course are:
Ultimate Techniques and Tactics by James Parinella and Eric Zaslow
Successful Coaching by Rainer Martens
The UA Level 2 – Development Coach Course is for the exclusive access of Australian-based coaches.
The online component of this course is valued at $39.99 but is currently being provided to development coaches for $34.99.
Further payment will be required for the face-to-face component of the course (the cost will be determined by your State Flying Disc Association).